Created in 1996, it acts as the sole organ of all municipal functions in culture after the merger of the Cultura del Ayuntamiento, from the Instituto Municipal Barcelona Espectáculos and the Centro Gestor de Museos.
From January 1 2006, the Instituto de Cultura has been established as a local public corporation (EPEL – Entidad Pública Empresarial Local). A public body provided for by law, with full legal capacity and management autonomy to carry out their programs and projects.
- Create, manage and maintain the artistic, scientific, technological, natural and historical heritage of the city.
- Commercially promote the Institute’s assets and activities.
- Spread culture in Barcelona´s districts and neighborhoods.
- Promote cultural activities in nonprofit sectors.
- Encourage the city´s presence in industries and cultural facilities.
- Promote cultural and leisure activities that take place in the city.
- Participate in the promotion of large cultural facilities owned by the State, the Generalitat or from shared ownership in the city.
- Support citizen and civic initiatives.